Wednesday, May 11, 2005

I Was Right! Apparently There Is No Cure!

Forgive me if I sound too much like Maha Rushie here, but I have to steal a line from the great one: "See, I Told You So". As I mentioned in my post on May 7, Harry Reid apologized for comments he made last week about President Bush. If you remember, he had this to say:

"The man's father is a wonderful human being," Reid said in response to a question about President Bush's policies. "I think this guy is a loser.

"I think President Bush is doing a bad job," he added to a handful of chuckles.

"He's driving this country into bankruptcy," Reid said, referring to the deficit. "He's got us in this intractable war in Iraq where we now have about 1,600 American soldiers dead and another 15,000 injured."


I noted in my post that Reid had apologized for his remarks and I doubted that he meant it. Well, apparently I was right! He didn't mean it!

Here's what he said yesterday:

"I tell people how I feel about things. I don't try to hide how I feel," Reid said.

"Maybe my choice of words was improper, and I have indicated that maybe they were, but I want everyone here, I repeat, to know I'm going to continue to call things the way that I see them, and I think this administration has done a very, very bad job for this nation and the world."



Apparently where Senator Reid comes from, apologies don't mean the same thing as they do here in the South. When you apologize in the South, you typically don't go back a couple of days later and say the same basic thing in a different way.

It all boils down to a little thing we Southerners like to call remorse. When we say something that is offensive to someone else, we generally take any and all steps necessary to ensure that it never happens again. Remorse is something that weighs on your conscience and makes your heart feel at least three times heavier than normal. This,of course, assumes that you have a conscience and a heart to begin with. I have yet to see either in Senator Reid.

I am in no way saying that Senator Reid has no right to his own opinion. What I am saying, however, is that he has a responsiblility to make sure his words mean something. It is disingenuos to make an apology one day and turn right around and spew the same venom a couple of days later. The words were not the same, but the message was.

I personally have no problem with Senator Reid making a complete (Democratic Party symbol) fool of himself. As far as I'm concerned his rhetoric only helps President Bush and the Republican Party. I do have a problem with people saying things they don't mean and using apologies to get out of sticky situations they happen to find themselves in. The people of Nevada deserve better and so does the rest of this country.

I think we should let him know this conduct is beneath the office he holds and ask him to start making real arguments instead of childish insults. E-mail him and tell him what you think. I just did. I am just a small fish in a big pond, but if enough of us do it, his inbox will look like it was hit by an Instalanche.

By the way Senator Reid, if my above post was out of line, I make no apology. I meant every word of it. See how easy that was?

Technorati talk bubble
Locations of visitors to this page