Monday, August 08, 2005

Farewell for Now, Michael Churchill

Blog buddy Michael Churchill has made his last post for a few months. A member of the Armed Forces, he is leaving to serve his country for a few months, but left us this to remember him by until he returns:

A Patriots Poem

When I think about what I want: I am reminded of what I have.
When I can realize what I have: I am reminded of what it took to achieve it.
Nothing in life is easy, and if it was, it wasn’t worth it.
What do you feel and think about when the National Anthem is played?
I feel an overwhelming sense of pride.

When I think about what I have lost: I am reminded of what I have gained.
When I can realize what I have gained: I am reminded of what it took to achieve it.
Nothing in life should be taken for granted, and if you have, you may want to re-consider.
What do you feel and think about when you see a plane full of soldiers returning from Iraq to loved ones?
I feel an overwhelming sense of duty and honor.

When you think about it, about our country: remember those who serve to defend it.
When you think about what you have: remember what it took to achieve it.
Serving our country is not easy, and if it were, I wouldn’t do it.
So the next time you hear the National Anthem played, remember those who serve, and those who have come before.
It’s not until you realize what you have lost, that you are reminded of what you have gained…

Freedom.


God bless and good bye.


God be with you, Michael, and with your family, and all with whom you serve! You make us proud!

Also posted on Mudville Gazette Open Post and Outside the Beltway Traffic Jam

Update: Big Thanks to Mudville Gazette for their link to this post in the 8/9 Dawn Patrol.
I'm sure Michael will appreciate the opportunity for more readers to be able to enjoy his poem. It is, without a doubt, among the best I've ever read!

Technorati talk bubble
Locations of visitors to this page