Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Tony Snow To Be Introduced As Press Secretary Tommorrow

Fox News is reporting that according to its sources, Tony Snow will be named as President Bush's new Press Secretary tommorrow morning:

WASHINGTON — Tony Snow will be named new White House press secretary on Wednesday morning, FOX News has learned. Snow is expected to be at the White House for the announcement. He has been mulling the offer for the last several days.

Long before the announcement, oddsmakers were banking on Snow, host of FOX News Talk's "The Tony Snow Show," to be tapped for the highly visible White House post.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! Not shocked that he would be President Bush's top choice for the job- heck, he would have been my choice if the decision were mine- but shocked that Snow is willing to accept the job.

I don't know what Fox News and his radio show are paying him, but even if it were peanuts I would think it would be a heap more rewarding than having to put up with the whiny Washington press corps on a daily basis.

That said, I believe Tony Snow is the right man for the job. He has the presence and the courage to chew up talking points with as much ease as most of us chew our mashed potatoes. He knows the facts and will not be rattled by the likes of Helen Thomas and David Gregory. If the administration gives Snow enough leeway, I think we'll see him hitting a lot of hanging curveballs into the cheapseats.

The press corps knows they will be dealing with someone who will respond to questions with class and dignity, but they also know that he is someone who can make them look extremely foolish without being harsh and while remaining in complete control. He will control the press corps, they won't control him. They know this, and my bet is they don't like it one little bit. These daily press briefings may finally become required daily viewing.

Personally, I wouldn't have the job and I wouldn't have to give up nearly as much to take it as Snow apparently has. If Snow is accepting this job out of a sense of duty, and a desire to serve his country, then my already huge admiration for him has increased ten fold.

In other news, I believe the third paragraph of this post has officially satisfied my "worn out cliche" quota for the week. I'm sure glad I got that behind me- and it's only Tuesday!

Tags: , , ,

Technorati talk bubble
Locations of visitors to this page