Monday, July 11, 2005

Coast-to-Toast

(Hat Tip: Daisy Cutter)

I missed this, and so did apparently everyone else in America. It was on MSNBC after all.

Here's the short version:

Ron Reagan, apparently a co-host on MSNBC's Connected Coast to Coast, opened his mouth. Christopher Hitchens made him wish he hadn't.

Daisy Cutter provides a bit more detail:

RR: Christopher, I'm not sure that I buy the idea that these attacks are a sign that we're actually winning the war on terror. I mean, how many more victories like this do we really want to endure?

CH: Well, it depends on how you think it started, sir. I mean, these movements had taken over Afghanistan, had very nearly taken over Algeria, in a extremely bloody war which actually was eventually won by Algerian society. They had sent death squads to try and kill my friend Salman Rushdie, for the offense of writing a novel in England. They had sent death squads to Austria and Germany, the Iranians had, for example, to try and kill Kurdish Muslim leaders there. If you make the mistake that I thought I heard you making just before we came on the air, of attributing rationality or a motive to this, and to say that it's about anything but itself, you make a great mistake, and you end up where you ended up, saying that the cause of terrorism is fighting against it, the root cause, I mean. Now, you even said, extraordinarily to me, that there was no terrorist problem in Iraq before 2003. Do you know nothing about the subject at all? Do you wonder how Mr. Zarqawi got there under the rule of Saddam Hussein? Have you ever heard of Abu Nidal?

I'm not stealing DC's thunder, so you will need to read the rest of the transcript here. Political Teen has the video here.

Tags:,,,

Technorati talk bubble
Locations of visitors to this page