Monday, October 31, 2005

Confirm Alito!

As regular readers of this site can attest, I make no claims to be an expert at any level when it comes to legal matters. I feel that is best left to, well, experts. However, I can usually read my way through a ruling well enough to determine whether someone generally applies the law as written, or creates a new one in their decision making process. From what I have read and learned of Samuel Alito, his tendencies appear to lean more towards the former.

This is a nominee I can support. This is exactly the type of justice that is sorely needed on the U.S. Supreme Court. It's easy to string fancy words together in an attempt to justify why a personal opinion should be the law of the land, it is far more difficult to set aside personal beliefs and make a ruling that meets constitutional muster. It's not the glamorous thing to do, but it is the right thing to do.

I have always felt that you could confirm whether a nominee is the right choice or not by simply watching and listening to the opposition. The opposition will fear a quality nominee but will generally play nice if they feel they are not much of a threat. I see no indication that the left is anything other than livid about this one. The word filibuster is being bandied about with regularity, he is being painted as extreme in his views by the left, and I've even heard some make claims about turning back the clock on the human rights gains of the past. No direct quotes, but that the gist of the rhetoric I am hearing from the left today.

The final proof will be when Harry Reid's hair catches on fire and steam starts coming out of his ears. That will remove all doubt and I don't think it will be long. I believe Samuel Alito is just the man to make that happen!

Tags:,,,

Technorati talk bubble
Locations of visitors to this page