Monday, May 23, 2005

Deal Struck on Judges

According to AP News, a deal has been struck clearing the way for up-or-down votes on Priscilla Owen, Janice Rogers Brown, and William Pryor for appeals court seats with no commitments made on further appointments. I'm not optimistic that anything at all has been accomplished by this, but I will reserve judgement for a time when my temper has cooled a bit.

Basically, we still have some centrists who are too worried about their image with the press or are too worried about offending someone to do the right thing. This is basically the same "deal" that has been floating around for weeks, and it smells no better now than it did then.

It just gives Harry Reid and the Democrats more time to delay voting, bad mouth the President, and obstruct the process. I'm starting to wonder if the party in power has any guts at all. Mark my words: One month from now you will see no significant difference in Senate behavior or progress toward up-or down votes. This is nothing more than a delay tactic and I'm growing very weary of it and of the moderate Republicans that are helping it along.

Sorry, I guess I didn't reserve judgement after all!

Technorati talk bubble
Locations of visitors to this page